Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Watson Personality Insights

"The Watson Personality Insights service uses linguistic analytics to extract a spectrum of cognitive and social characteristics from the text data that a person generates through blogs, tweets, forum posts, and more", it reads on the website http://watson-um-demo.mybluemix.net/.

Go to the website, and you'll find a mostly blank page telling you to "try the service", under which is a box full of text. Delete that text, and you'll be prompted to enter an English text of 100 words, minimum. Hit "Analyze", and the website will assign a number of personality traits that you supposedly possess based on the text you entered. Deciding to test it, I entered three texts and had them analyzed.


The first time, I entered my two latest blog posts (The Economist and Japanese Tea Ceremony), totalling some 1000+ words. I received a short summary of my main personality traits and a visual map of the percentage of certain traits I displayed in my text.

The summary was thus:
"You are shrewd, skeptical and tranquil.
You are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself. You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. And you are authority-challenging: you prefer to challenge authority and traditional values to help bring about positive changes.
Your choices are driven by a desire for prestige.
You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider independence to guide a large part of what you do: you like to set your own goals to decide how to best achieve them."

Top values: Openness (98%), Imagination (97%), Intellect (96%), Authority-challenging (98%), Cautiousness (91%), Sympathy (99%), Openness to change (91%)

Secondly, I entered an excerpt from a story I wrote some time ago. (Fan fiction, to be precise. I enjoy playing around with characters from Harry Potter.) I got, perhaps predictably, quite different results from this text.

"You are social, unpretentious and informal.
You are confident: you are hard to embarrass and are self-confident most of the time. You are laid-back: you appreciate a relaxed pace in life. And you are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups.
Your choices are driven by a desire for discovery.
You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you. You are relatively unconcerned with taking pleasure in life: you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment."

Top values: Extraversion (98%), Assertiveness (98%), Outgoing (93%), Challenge (90%), Curiosity (100%), Excitement (99%), Harmony (92%), Ideal (100%), Practicality (95%), Self-transcendence (93%)

For a last test, I wrote a nearly 300-word long text about myself in a very informal style. Again, there were some notable differences.

Summary:
"You are guarded and excitable.
You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. You are calm-seeking: you prefer activities that are quiet, calm, and safe. And you are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself.
Your choices are driven by a desire for self-expression.
You are relatively unconcerned with taking pleasure in life: you prefer activities with a purpose greater than just personal enjoyment. You consider achieving success to guide a large part of what you do: you seek out opportunities to improve yourself and demonstrate that you are a capable person."

Top values: Authority-challenging (94%), Cautiousness (94%), Orderliness (90%), Sympathy (99%), Self-expression (100%), Self-enhancement (94%)

It's intriguing to compare the three results, seeing where they differed and where they remained the same. The first and last result are visually more similar than the second result to either of the other two, since in the second result nearly all values in the "Needs" section spiked dramatically. In the other two results, I am honestly shocked to see how low my percentage for Cheerfulness is! I consider myself a very cheerful person, and am considered to be so by most people I know, so to have gotten first 5%, then 8%, is honestly shocking! (Also, I got 82% for Cheerfulness when I entered a text that is, while not depressing, not particularly cheerful. I set the beginning of that story after Sirius Black's death in book 5 of the Harry Potter series. How I managed to score so highly in Cheerfulness, Outgoing, and things like Harmony is beyond my understanding. I suppose the results are based not on the general mood of the text, but on things like writing style and vocabulary.)

My Gregariousness is also surprisingly low in the first and last result. Why? Not sure; I love spending time with others (though I enjoy solitary pursuits very much). Love and Hedonism also have very low results based on my short autobiography. Hm.

If I had to summarize myself using only phrases from the three summaries above, I think it would look something like this:
"You are social, unpretentious and informal.
You are empathetic: you feel what others feel and are compassionate towards them. You are independent: you have a strong desire to have time to yourself. And you are assertive: you tend to speak up and take charge of situations, and you are comfortable leading groups.
Your choices are driven by a desire for prestige.
You are relatively unconcerned with tradition: you care more about making your own path than following what others have done. You consider helping others to guide a large part of what you do: you think it is important to take care of the people around you. You consider achieving success to guide a large part of what you do: you seek out opportunities to improve yourself and demonstrate that you are a capable person."


I'll be playing around with this a bit more, and I'd love to hear whether your own attempts gave you results you feel match you! On the website it says a minimum of 100 words, but on the website I found the link (cracked.com) they say that the demo "needs a thousand words to confidently assess your intelligence, willingness to challenge authority, trust of others, susceptibility to stress, and need to feel loved." Perhaps my last sample was too small. Let me know whether you feel your results are accurate or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment